[Asterisk-Users] Vonage Linksys Router - Life after Vonage

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Mar 24 08:49:02 MST 2005

> > I too have heard of people persuading a vonage tech to provide the
> > password to log into and factory reset their device, but I get the
> > impression that it is an uncommon occurrence.. you'd be lucky,
> basically.
>
> I have an ATA-186 that Vonage unlocked for me. They used to just
charge
> $20 or so (on top of the cancellation fee) to unlock any device that
> wasn't active. You'll have to get through their first line of support
> and eventually transferred. They *may* have changed the policy with
the
> linksys boxes, as they couldn't do it when they first came out (I
> tried). Now that linksys sells an unlocked version they may well be
> willing though.

We are an authorized Linksys service provider (meaning we can buy
Linksys ata's for use with our service from distribution) and I know
from our agreement that vonage, or any other itsp, is prohibited from
making the Linksys ata's available in an unprovisioned state. Even the
"NA" product can only be sold to authorized itsp. I think this is why
vonage will not unlock the Linksys for you. If it gets back to Linksys
that they did it they will get a hand slap from Linksys.

Why not just return the Linksys to vonage, get your 40 bucks back, and
buy the sipura spa2000? They are the same thing, also sold under the
vegastream brand.

If you really want to try to hack the Linksys try looking for
information on how to recover a sipura password, not sure it exists, but
you might have better luck.

In the end you will probably just end up with a $40 paperweight. If you
are successful and post the process you will make a lot of unhappy
ex-vonage customers happy and Linksys and vonage not so happy :)