[Asterisk-Users] codec for asterisk

Gareth Blades list-asterisk at linguaphone.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 01:46:34 MST 2005

g729 is a commercial codec and requires a license to use. You can
purchase a license for use with Asterisk. See
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+G.729+licensing

g723 is also a commercial codec but Asterisk does not support it other
than in passthru mode.

I have not heard of gsmfr.

What about Speex?
You can compile this for use with Asterisk and most Cisco stuff supports
it as I believe it is the protocol preferred by their own voice system.