[Asterisk-Users] zaptel.o undefined references

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 23 14:38:04 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:58 +0000, Filipe Abrantes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just got asterisk and i was trying to compile it for my amdk6
> running 2.4.27 debian patched kernel. However I got some some undefined
> references when trying to load the zaptel module:
>
> # modprobe zaptel
<snip>
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-386/misc/zaptel.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-386/misc/zaptel.o: insmod zaptel failed
>
> Do you have any idea of what this may be?

You will do well to compile a kernel from kernel.org sources and not a
distro specific version. Even debian includes things that may cause you
trouble. It is better to tune your kernel well and know it is working at
the most efficient you can for telephony apps to work well.

Next, you need to learn about very generic module debugging. The
unresolved symbols that you are having trouble with need to be known.
Use "depmod -ae" to tell you what symbols are missing. Then from the
names you may well know what it is you are missing.

Since you are using debian specific kernel, I am betting it has symbol
versions turned on, and it would require a specific .h file created at
compile time to have made the linking of the zaptel module know the
precise name of the symbol.