[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 and multiple simultaneous calls

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:45:57 MST 2005

> I don't think the Cisco's actually register twice, they register once
> per 'account'.

Correct, as I can cofirm from my tests with Cisco phones.

> These phones simply realize that the account information for both lines
> is the same and assumes (possibly incorrectly) that it should accept
> calls to that 'account' on all lines with that account.

"possibly incorrectly" I think you are incorrect, this has the *best*
result, it will just ring the second line when a second call comes in.

> This disables the phones ability to handle two incoming calls per line
> button however.

Maybe, I use it with disabling call waiting, so I dont realy know if
this is true, in any case besides for disabling or not disabling the
second call on the same line, it will also rollover to the next
button, but this is the desired result in most cases, other wise why
don't you use a different sip account for the next button, if you are
using the same sip account, then you want the second call to go to the
next button (unless you want 12 calls on a Cisco 7960?).

> My work-around, and I'm sure many others too, was to create a -a and -b
> 'account' for each 'account' and then do dialplan rollover to make the
> 7940 accept two calls per line button, or 4 simultaneous incoming calls.
>   The 7960 could accept 12 simultaneous incoming calls this way using a
> -a through a -f 'account'.

Correct, but it's usualy much better and easier to have the phone
handle the rollover, who needs more than 6 simultanewous calls? whats
wrong with call parking if you do need more than 6?

> -Chris
>
> PS: Haven't checked this, but the phone may actually register per 'line'
> meaning it would register multiple times, but since ALL the details of
> the register are the same, * just treats it as a re-register and neither
> * nor the phone know the difference, so both 'work together' to produce
> this effect.

It's possible, since it comes from the same IP address asterisk knows
that it's the same and doesn't give any errors (I never tried with sip
debug, so I don't know), but I think it's actualy the phone that does
it, in any case it doesn't matter, as long as it works.