[Asterisk-Users] Nat and firewall port forwarding - is it really required?

Chris Harvey asterisk at e-harvey.com
Tue Mar 22 19:58:23 MST 2005

I have a question which I'm sure has been asked before but my research has
yet to find it.

I have Asterisk running on a Linux server but in order to get it to connect
I needed to punch a hole in my firewall on port 5060 for it to receive the
registration responses from broadvoice.

If I run sjphone as a softclient on my home PC I do not need to punch that
same hole and it works just fine. I'm confused as to why. I compared the
logs of the softphone compared to Asterisk and noticed some differences but
simply cannot get Asterisk to work without the port forwarding.

The phone doesn't have STUN setup so I'm not sure how it's getting through
the firewall and working without a hole yet Asterisk cannot.

Chris