[Asterisk-Users] Re: X100P interrupt load

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Mar 22 14:17:44 MST 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 3:55 pm, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> > Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> >>1000 / card

> >>FreeBSD had some issues with Asterisk.
> >

> > This should be "has some issues". I do not consider
> > the FreeBSD zaptel support to be production quality
> > in any way. I experienced reproducible system hangs
> > (mostly after an asterisk restart), interrupt issues
> > (audio skips and SSH pauses during typing), and
> > general instability. This was with an up-to-date
> > FreeBSD 5.3-SECURITY and the latest zaptel at
> > asterisk from ports (1.0.6 for asterisk, and a
> > significantly lower version for zaptel, I think).
> >
> > I do not recommend anyone run FreeBSD + Asterisk at
> > this time.
>
>  I said FreeBSD had some issues with Asterisk, not zaptel.  I have not
> run Zaptel on FreeBSD, so I couldn't tell you.  I did, however, run
> Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.11 briefly and remember having to tweak
> modules.conf.

I didn't have to tweak modules.conf at all on 5.3. I'll admit that
I didn't test asterisk on FreeBSD without zaptel though. It might
run perfectly fine without zaptel. After all, the zaptel driver is
a really old version, and still GIANT locked....

[...]

>  But yes, at this time I see no reason to run * on FreeBSD.  As I have
> said before * can be tough as it is, don't through a less common OS (for
> Asterisk) in the mix.  Your capabilites are limited, there are fewer
> people to help you, etc.  Did you try any of this on the -bsd list?

No. And I don't plan to. I'm quite familiar with both Linux and FreeBSD.
I used to run it on my laptop, as well as servers. I know when FreeBSD
is being operated outside of it's sphere of stability. Zaptel, at least,
appears to push well beyond that sphere for now.

Why put myself through the hassle when Linux is just as good?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,