[Asterisk-Users] why even use SIP

Scott Bussinger scottb at opto-pps.com
Tue Mar 22 08:47:52 MST 2005

> After 20 posts, in 2005 the ideal setup for a new installtion
> of a 50 user asterisk is:
>
> Option1: IAX2 with softphone firefly
> Option2: SIP with softphone
> Option3: IAX2 with hardphones (which brand?)
> Option4: SIP with hardphones.

As the other poster said, I doubt you'll find a consensus as there are too
many variables and no single perfect solution. With 50 users is Option 1
even viable? Firefly doesn't support more than one line appearance and with
that large an office I'd think people would insist on more than one line.
But Firefly did work the best of the IAX softphones I tried in terms of
sound quality.

Options 2 and 4 are both going to depend on whether there are users outside
the local LAN because if there are you'll have to deal with the SIP
NAT/firewall issues and that's an ugly project. That leaves Option 3 and
none of the reviews I've read of the IAX hardphones made me want to go out
and buy 50 of them.

At this point I don't think there's any solution that will work without
tradeoffs specific to your situation.

Be seeing you.