[Asterisk-Users] best protocol/codec for dialup

Time Bandit timebandit001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:14:00 MST 2005

> What would be a good combination to use on dialup connections?  I know
> iax is better than SIP, but I dont' know much of anything about the
> various codecs.  Also, how well would an iax or sip solution work
> compared to skype as far as voice quality?
I have a relative that is on dialup and calling me using MediaX set
with gsm. Works great.

I'm laughing at the fact that he use the phone line to connect to the
internet to then take a softphone to call me :)

But hey, that way Bell Canada doesn't make a dime.

For the sound quality, I (and he) would say that it sound better then
a call thru the PSTN.
And this is a call from Vancouver to Montreal

hth