[Asterisk-Users] how to keep Asterisk up to date on many servers

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Mar 22 02:13:39 MST 2005

Geoff Nordli wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> Asterisk is one of those applications that need to be built from cvs on a
> regular basis to keep up with the changes.  I have always used package
> management tools like apt.
>
> How does everyone manage their Asterisk servers?
>
> Geoff

Geoff,

	Probably the easiest way is to tweak the DESTDIR= variable in the *
Makefile and install it into an alternate root ("/opt/asterisk", or
something).  Don't forget to use the upgrade target (make upgrade),
otherwise it will put configs there, and you probably don't want that...
  Then you can tar.gz that directory up (make sure not to preserve the
/opt/asterisk), and then un-tar that on your machines.  Or use rsync, or
get fancy with one of those uuencoded shell scripts that people use for
software distribution on Linux:

option 1)

cd /usr/src/asterisk
vi Makefile (edit DESTDIR)
mkdir /opt/asterisk
make upgrade
cd /opt/asterisk
tar -cvjf ../asterisk.tar.bz2 *
(distribute your tar.bz2 to a remote machine)

REMOTE MACHINE: cd / ; tar -xvjpf /path/to/tar

	This can be tricky because you will have to make sure that your build
host and target host(s) are more or less the same: libpri yes/no, zaptel
yes/no, processor family, etc.  I would just do this for libpri, zaptel,
and asterisk (put them all in /opt/asterisk, your alternate root
directory on the build system), and then tar it up.  I hope that this
makes some sense, it is getting pretty late here...

--
Kristian Kielhofner