[Asterisk-Users] why even use SIP

Scott Williamson scott at sjwilliamson.ca
Mon Mar 21 20:02:39 MST 2005

Ah, Console sound card echo.

I found that with my cheep YMFPCI sound card that there is a channel
called "wave capture" that is enabled for recording by default. And this
is only visible when one uses ALSA sound drivers. One needs to use an
ALSA mixer control program (I use amixer, the text mode one) to disable,
or reduce the volume on these sound cards. Once this is done there is no
more echo at all!

Why this channel does not appear under OSS, and why it appears to be
enabled by default in the hardware is beyond me. The GUI mixers all list
this channel simply as WAVE, and I have two WAVE channels. So remember
amixer.

The card is called ICEnsemble ICE1230 by OSS, and Yamaha DS-XG (YMF734)
by ALSA

On Tue, 2005-22-03 at 10:52 +0800, Shaun Dwyer wrote:
> Scott Bussinger wrote:
>
> >We just tried to go entirely with softphones in our office gave up after a
> >month or so of trying. I tried probably 10 different softphones running on
> >3.0Ghz WinXP machines and none of them were workable. I tried both SIP and
> >IAX2 softphones using headsets plugged into the audio ports, USB headsets,
> >and USB phone interface boxes (www.phoneconnector.com).
> >
> >While it wasn't hard to get them to work and the concept would have been
> >perfect in our environment, the quality was _terrible_! We had many issues
> >

> <snip>
>
> I found that for the most part, crappy sounds cards caused the bulk of
> problems with soft phones.
> I noticed that on, for example, intel D865PERLL motherboards with an
> onboard realtek AC97 sound
> device, There was heaps of echo for the remote end (using a softphone or
> a hardphone).
>
> I also found that a stock standard Creative PCI 128 sound card gave
> great results.
>
> Given PCI128s arn't available anymore, I'm sure you could find an
> alternative, like perhaps
> even going as far as a SB Live Value.. if you buy these in bulk, im sure
> you can get em cheap
> as chips.
>
> I've only ever used X-lite as a soft phone and found it to be really
> very good.
>
> Cheers,
> -Shaun

Scott J. Williamson <scott at sjwilliamson.ca>

Not every problem someone has with his girlfriend is necessarily due to
the capitalist mode of production. -- Herbert Marcuse