[Asterisk-Users] SIP, NAT, and bindaddr

Zach Scott zach.scott at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:52:22 MST 2005

Hey everyone,

I'm an * newbie and I'm trying to get things going here, and please
forgive me if you've heard this problem before.  I have my * server on
OS X behind a NAT, and I'm trying to connect to SIP soft phones
(X-Lite) on various computers, some behind the same NAT and others
with public addresses.  I have successfully configured port forwarding
and a few minutes ago I was able to successfully call both internal
and external (NAT-wise) phones, connected to voice mail, everything
working fine...

So why am I writing?  Because, then the power went out, thanks to a
roommate using the microwave and some weak fuses.  Now, once
everything has been rebooted, none of my SIP clients can connect.
Asterisk issues a warning that it can't bind to 0.0.0.0, "Address
already in use."  Neither reloading nor stopping and restarting help.
Nor does setting bindaddr to the internal or external IPs... through
several rounds of trouble shooting the only time I could get it to
work was with 0.0.0.0.

If anyone has an idea on how to re-bind successfully, please let me
know!  Thanks in advance.  If any .conf details would be helpful I'll
send 'em along.

-- Zach