Asterisk and X [was: Re: [Asterisk-Users] zaptel PRI drivers]

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Mar 21 13:33:20 MST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:57:14AM -0700, Tom wrote:
> Quoting Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>:

> > You want to run a full desktop just be able to manage the Asterisk box?
> > That's what ssh is for.
> >
> > Xorcom Rapid added a menu application for managing the box for those who
> > don't know the command to type. If you have an X server on your
> > workstation you can run X programs on your local X server. There should
> > be no need for a local X server on the Asterisk box.
> >
> This is not to manage asterisk.  Asterisk has plenty of web based admin suites,
> none of which are installed, as I generally like working on the CLI, and manage
> asterisk that way just fine.  However, we have a couple of very large in-house
> apps that run on X to manage some other things (in-house proprietary stuff).
> That is the primary function of this box, and we added * to this box after the
> fact with a couple wctdm cards, it worked very well but we just upgraded our
> pstn interface from old analog lines to a PRI, so we needed to upgrade the
> asterisk box as well...

So install cygwin for the users. Put a small script for each user that
runs:

  if x_server_not_running; then
    startx & # or wait for X server? not exactly sure
  fi
  ssh -X asterisk run_our_stuff

Or even simpler: starr X server manually or at login. You can also use
putty and plink/pagent instead of cygwin/openssh.

Asterisk box only runs client and has no unnecessary desktop. User works
in a familiar desktop and needs no complete desktop for one simple app.

> > VNC is a protocol for remotely controling a desktop. There are several
> > ways of working with GDM. One useful way is to run a local XVnc server.
> > This requires no GDM at all, unless you want a separate user and
> > separate desktop for each real user (and waste tons of memory on that).
> This is exactly what I want, because memory is cheap compared to my time fixing
> permissions/forgotten passwords/etc that will happen if we can't manage these
> passwords in LDAP.

pam_ldap and nss_ldap will do this for you. Actually Fedora should have
some specific system-config-* (system-config-auth or
system-config-users ?) to do exactly that.

/me doing too much Fedora advocacy lately ...

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's