Asterisk and X [was: Re: [Asterisk-Users] zaptel PRI drivers]

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Mar 19 23:15:48 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 08:57 -0700, Tom wrote:
> This box never was primarily an * box, it is a server that people have used VNC
> from windows desktops to run a couple of apps that are X11 only that we need in
> house.  We just have been trying to get off of our old PBX, and onto * as our
> primary system, and it's been working fine with the wctdm haven't seen any
> degredation of voice quality, call quality, anything previous to this.  We run
> the GDM system so that users can sign on with their same username/password, and
> they get their same groups/restrictions etc all through LDAP, this has been
> working for 2 years now.  We don't want to set up 45 user accounts locally on
> the box, set up separate passwords, have the users manually keep those
> passwords in sync, and then have separate passwords (again!) for vnc, which is
> what we have to do if we can't get GDM/xdm/kdm and XDMCP to work.  There are
> never more than 3-5 people logged in at once, and as I said previously this was
> all working just fine with wctdm cards, its just the wcte110p that has issues,
> and those are that it can't keep the timing right (according to our provider)
> when X is enabled.  Our provider and our asterisk box get flooded with HDLC
> Abort(6) errors.  We don't want to have to spend an extra 3 grand for another
> server just to take up more space when we have this box that is sitting here
> idle 99% of the time, and as it has worked spectacularly well with the wctdm
> cards, I don't see why it can't with the wcte110p/PRI.
> Tom Christensen

Maybe you need to look at an inexpensive dell 1u machine. You shouldn't
have to spend more than $1k for a machine to dedicate to asterisk. As
you have seen, asterisk needs realtime speeds and when other apps get in
it's way something gets dropped. If you don't need a rack mount server,
you can find even cheaper machines around to dedicate to it.