[Asterisk-Users] iLBC codec and mute issues

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 09:52:36 MST 2005

I tried using the iLBC codec, and whlie I like it, I ran into a
strange issue. I did a few searches on Google and haven't found anyone
with the same issue as this.

Anyhow, I was using a Plantronics analog headset and box plugged into
a Digium TDM card, dialed out over my VoIP provider's IAX channel to
the PSTN.

I was in a conference call which is running on an Avaya PBX (which
shouldn't matter), and so I muted myself with the mute button on the
headset box. After a minute or two, I was asked to speak again, and so
I unmuted, but no one could hear me. I tried hitting mute a bunch more
times, but still nothing. It was making a difference in the headset
though; I could hear myself a little bit when unmuted, but not when I
was muted, leading me to believe it was something with the Asterisk
box. I switched codecs and the issue disappeared.

Does anyone know what the problem is there, seemingly it is iLBC, but
I was wondering if that's a common thing or not. Is this codec
unstable like this?

Thanks,
Dana