[Asterisk-Users] US pstn => voip

Mark Charlton mark at mcwebtree.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 08:09:58 MST 2005

Hi

I believe this is due to the way US phone systems work, however I'm going to
ask anyway.  In the UK there are several providers who provide national rate
PSTN => Voip gateways which are free to receive calls on, (for the
recipient), the caller pays the cost of calling. E.g 0844 0870 etc.

I am looking for a US provier who offers the same sort of system.  I don't
call the US but I have people in the US who call me.  I wanted to set up a
number where they could call, which would route to my * box, preferable via
IAX or failing that SIP, (I haven't manged to get sip to work with DTMF yet,
hence my preference).  However I can only find providers of local numbers,
or toll free numbers, both of which incur an inbound call rate of between 2c
and 10c / minute, plus a monthly charge.

Does anyone know of a provider who provides such a service either in US or
Canada?  I have googled for days on this one, and have come up with next to
nothing.

Many Thanks
Mark