[Asterisk-Users] AVM Fritz! Noise / Crackle

Mathew McKernan mat at dwonline.com.au
Sun Mar 20 21:26:59 MST 2005

Hi all,

Got a bit of a problem, we have an AVM Fritz! PCI Card hooked up to our OnRamp2 (BRI) connection. However, on some phone calls we get serious crackle and noise. You can still hear the other party but it is ear piecing and really annoying.

Am I correct in assuming its line noise caused by poor wiring between the termination from our telco and the asterisk box. Its terminated in our telephone MDF and then a cat 5 line is run about 15 mtrs.

I believe the guy in our office who has run the cat5 to run the ISDN over to the asterisk box used stranded UTP (which i know is exteremerly bad practice for LAN connections). If I re run it using shielded solid cat 5. Should this solve the problem?

Some time back at another job, we had problems with similar issues of incorrect terminated calls (corrupted packets on the signalling channel) across a microwave link. The microwave radio was terminated over an E1 line to our PABX. Replacing the cable with shielded line solved the problem. So I guess this would apply here?

-- Mathew McKernan