[Asterisk-Users] VoIP service through Asterisk?

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 12:09:26 MST 2005

> You will be very disappointed at the call quality if you try and
> run other software on an asterisk box, pc interrupts and processing
> glitches just don't 'play well' with voice.

Call me crazy, but that's what I've been doing for months and the
service quality has been great. I'm running * on a rented P4 2.4 GHz
server that only serves about 20 SIP extensions and 10 DIDs. But it
also runs a Apache, mySQL, qmail, spamassassin and clamav, FTP...
among other things. Even at loads over 1 things run smoothly. I hardly
ever have more than 8 concurrent calls though, but it doesn't look
like Peter is anticipating a bigger setup.

I'm running * with real-time priority though, seems to do the trick. I
don't have other telephone hardware (it's pure SIP/IAX) but the NIC
does on average >1000 interrupts/second. Heck, the server is pumping
out over 12 GB of data per day. If properly tuned, it does work :-).

--Luki