[Asterisk-Users] Routing 911 calls

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Sat Mar 19 09:24:09 MST 2005

You really need an outside company to implement e911 for you. Your idea
of putting each phone in a separate context might work if;

You have a local emergency number for every caller in your dial plan.

You have maps that show the jurisdiction of every 911 dispatcher in your
service area.

You confirm the numbers on a case by case basis.

Every agency you deal with as a local number for emergencies.

The bottom line is that every number you assign to subscribers still has
to have a record in the PSAP database for address information to be
transmitted, so you will still need a relationship with a PSAP data
manager.

Bottom line, too complex and too much liability, you need outside help.
This is a huge issue right now and companies like intrado
(www.intrado.com) are working on it.

Find out who manages the PSAP database for your intended service area
and contact them to see if they have a VoIP e911 service available.

This issue also impacts cellular systems, but it is easier because each
cell site typically only covers one or two jurisdictions, in which case
the caller gets "close enough" to the right agency based on the cell
site they are connected to and due to the mobile nature of the systems
address information is not expected to be transmitted.

Newer solutions for cellular include GPS location information in the
call. The handset receives GPS info and distance info from each cell
site it can "hear". Simple math on the handset adjusts the GPS location
based on triangulation of the last three known GPS coords (cell sites)