[Asterisk-Users] Article on Slashdot

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 22:02:48 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:19:19 -0500, Kris Edwards <krisedwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> How ISPs May Quietly Kill VoIP
> Communications
> Posted by Zonk on Friday March 18, @10:59PM
> from the poor-kids-never-had-a-chance dept.
> ravenII writes "PBS's i'Cringley's informative piece gives an
> eye-opening look at the anticompetitive behavior of some ISPs who are
> showing up late to the VoIP game. This is not something that could be
> easily mandated, and the beauty of this approach is that they're not
> explicitly doing anything to the 3rd party service applications. They're
> just identifying and tagging their own services, which is within their
> rights."

One major flaw I see with his logic is that in order to degrade the
traffic enough to have an effect on voip, a provider has to degrade
all the traffic, and they aren't going to do that.  The other one is
that congestion is less and less of an issue.  The backbone is not
clogged with traffic, it's got excess capacity all over the place at
least in the US.  Bandwidth will only get cheaper, the pipes fatter,
and the quality better.  All of which work against this theory.

Then again, maybe this time the sky really is falling...

Chris