[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Firmware

Patrick M. Gray, Jr. patgrayjr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 20:04:29 MST 2005

I got a new old stock Cisco 7960 from eBay and the warranty expired bay in
2001 according to Cisco (I didn't even know they had VoIP in 2001 ;-) ).  I
spoke with a wonderfully rude gentleman at Cisco who told me there was
nothing that could be done to get SIP firmware for the device, and would not
even entertain the possibility of purchasing said FW from Cisco.  He
suggested I call a local reseller, and the single one I called was not
interested in helping me either with my "unsupported hardware."

I'm using the 7960 to experiment with *, and was wondering if there are
alternative means to finding the firmware, or if the "out of the box" SCCP
firmware (I have version P003AM30) will work with *.  I'm willing to pay any
"official resellers" a fair price for the F/W, but the attitude I received
from Cisco and the one reseller I contacted have me thinking this is a waste
of time.

I'm using Asterisk at Home and can seem to find any SCCP info, and don't want
to delve too deeply into this experiment if the phone is not going to work
reliably.

Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction.

Pat