[Asterisk-Users] Re: asterisk+radius

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Mar 17 11:36:12 MST 2005

Matt wrote:
> Oh this is sad.. I'm familiar with radius.. and was hoping to be able
> to use asterisk with freeradius to be able to do call accounting and
> billing.. so you're telling me this is now not a good idea?
> Am I better off (for now) parsing the csv report each month?
>

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:00:09 -0600, Matthew Boehm
> <mboehm at cytelcom.com> wrote:
>> Kamran Ahmad wrote:
>>> i have written app for billing with asterisk. what is
>>> the problem in using radius.
>>>
>>> kamran
>>>

>>     Its a pain and redundant. Why run two seperate databases when 1
>> will do what you need? There is no native radius support for
>> Asterisk. There is an addon, (search the wiki) but the last I heard
>> of it, it was unstable.
>>
>> -Matthew

My only (the only) reason for not using radius is dupilicity. We also run
freeradius with a mysql backend for doing router logins and for ISDN
authorization.

If my Asterisk CDRs are already being written to MySQL, why write them to
Radius which is just going to write them to MySQL?

If you already have some sort of Radius billing app written, then go for it.
I'm not here to stop anyone from using radius. I'm not anti-radius.

I'm just saying that if you already have a database that does what you need,
why bring in another one?

-Matthew