[Asterisk-Users] IAX Registration being lost

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Mar 16 15:51:42 MST 2005

Tony Davidson wrote:

> <>
> My account is a residential ADSL account and the provider won't
> provide a static IP with it. I'd need to upgrade to a business account
> at roughly another $50 per month (which I can't justify for home use).
>
> I suppose the question that begs asking is:
>
> "Is anyone successfully running Asterisk with IAX and a dynamic IP
> address?"

That all depends on the ISP, I feel sure.
In my specific case, with a cable ISP, and a dynamic address,  it seems
that my PUBLIC IP never changes, as long as the cable modem and router
are powered up , and don't remain off for a long period of time. All the
addresses behind the router that would interact with Asterisk are fixed,
and the necessary ports opened on the router for IAX to work.

Not all ISP's are so kind, I am led to believe, but have no firsthand
knowledge.
Perhaps some more information can be supplied?

John Novack