[Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Best DB

Giudice, Salvatore Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM
Wed Mar 16 14:48:14 MST 2005

Then go post your findings to the mysql bug lists as a noncompliance
issue or contribute a patch so you can get your error message. The fact
remains that you do not have to have your data truncated nor ever see an
error message, if your fields are large enough to contain the data you
will insert into them. So, while you are waiting for your fix, put some
validation in your app or create a bigger field in your db -> then go
froth yourself.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo [mailto:tih at eunetnorge.no]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:51 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Best DB

"Giudice, Salvatore" <Salvatore.Giudice at FMR.COM> writes:

> Regardless, I would not call the database deficient because it
> truncates your data to 100 characters and doesn't warn you with an
> error. Get real. It is not as if this behavior is unexpected or some
> sort of a surprise.

Quoting the SQL/92 standard:

    If a store assignment would result in the loss of non-<space>
    characters due to truncation, then an exception condition is raised.

> Run whichever DB you want. It's your choice, as always. You are
> certainly free to sit in your office frothing all over yourself in
> your own twisted PostgreSQL fantasy.

I don't see anyone but you frothing at the mouth in this discussion.
:-)

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by
ignorance.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: