[Asterisk-Users] IAX Registration being lost

Tony Davidson tonyd at zeroeffortnetworking.com.au
Wed Mar 16 12:42:07 MST 2005

Great!! Something to work with.

Yes, I've searched the wiki and everything else I can think of, including
these archives (which to be honest are very hard to search for this sort of
thing).  I've probably spent about 8-10 hours and hence the reason I've
given up on the personal research and started on the asking.

>> Also, please include some more info.  That is probably why you got no
answer...

I didn't really know what extra info to post.

>> Is your machine sitting behind a router or is it directly connected to
your broadband (assuming)?  If the machine is behind a firewall, the IP
change should not be so profound.

The asterisk server is on a private network with a Smoothwall firewall
running as a router.  The private internal address never changes but the
external address does.

>> It would just take a little bit and the machine should re-register as
soon as it sees the internet again.
Issuing reload should be sufficient to re-register on demand.

That's what I would think but it definitely isn't the case.

>> However, your description sounds like the * machine is getting an IP from
the broadband cable modem (again assuming).  If that is the case, your Linux
box may not get a new IP automatically.  At least mine has never done so
consistently.  You can google on how to setup the Linux network stuff and
refresh the IP.

I don't think this is the issue.  I can certainly still ping out from the
asterisk box and once I delete the connection, reboot and recreate the
connection I'm fine.  I reboot by itself doesn't do the trick.

>> Also, make sure you have not defined a bind address in your settings.
Leave it at 0.0.0.0 so * will use any available address.  That way if the IP
does change, you are not binding to an old address.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Which settings?

Thanks,
tony