[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Capabilities

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Mar 16 11:41:06 MST 2005

Parker, Blake (MIS) wrote:

> I am new to Asterisk and currently work mainly with Cisco Callmanager.
> With Callmanager I can setup partitions and call search spaces to
> determine where a given phone can and can’t dial.  Does Asterisk offer
> this type of functionality, and if so how?
>
> ***Blake Parker*

Blake,

	This is accomplished by using contexts.  The page at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+contexts does not help much, but
basically the idea is your devices - Zap channels, SIP, Skinny, IAX,
etc. all have a context to which they belong, and they can only make
calls to numbers that match in that context:

sip.conf:

[myphone]
context=staff
username=myphone
...etc...

[bossphone]
context=executives
username=bossphone

extensions.conf:

[executives]
include => staff
include => int-out

[staff]
include => ld-out
include => local-out
include => default

[ld-out]
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial({MYTRUNK}/${EXTEN},20)
exten => ...etc...

[local-out]
exten => _NXXXXXX,1,Dial({MYTRUNK}/${EXTEN},20)
exten => ...etc...

[int-out]
exten => _011.,1,Dial({MYTRUNK}/${EXTEN},20)
exten => ...etc...

	In this example, the phones in the "staff" context can only dial
numbers that are local or long distance (US + Canada).  Any
international numbers (011 access code + digits), can only be dialed by
the phones in the "executives" context.  Does this help?

--
Kristian Kielhofner