[Asterisk-Users] (Yet another) Music on hold problem and another...

Neil A. Hillard asterisk at dana.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 14:14:55 MST 2005

Eric,

        many thanks for your prompt reply.

>>  Using X-Lite to dial extension 400, I hear it ring and then get
>>answered
>> and I hear about 0.1 of a second of the on hold music and then silence.
>> If I use the 'line 1' button to put the call on hold and then take it
>> off again I hear another 0.1 of a second of the music.  This happens
>> every time.
>
>Sounds like Transmit Silence is OFF/NO in X-Lite config.
That's certainly solved it for X-Lite - many thanks.  Would there be a
similar setting for my SIP connection to sipgate ???  When I call into
my landline number I hear it ring and then answer but then silence.  I
see the mpg123 process burst into life, though.

>> My other problem is with DTMF tones - I seem to be unable to use DTMF
>> tones when receiving a call through sipgate.  Asterisk is receiving
>> voice as I can leave a voicemail.  Whilst recording a voicemail and
>> pressing the telephone keys, I hear about the first 0.1s of the DTMF
>> tone and then it mutes.  It's as if something is detecting the tone and
>> muting the voice path.
>>  I have tried with both dtmfmode = info and dtmfmode = inband in
>>sip.conf
>> (as recommended by sipgate) but the same happens !!!  This means that
>> I'm unable to navigate through my menus !!!
>
>dtmfmode=inband ONLY works with ulaw and alaw codecs.  You want
>dtmfmode=rfc2833 if you want DTMF over other codecs.
Hmm...  I've now tried rfc2833 but that seems to give the same results
!!!  In my sip.conf I've got:

[general]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=ilbc

[sipgate01]
disallow    = all
allow       = ulaw
allow       = alaw

So I guess that I should only be using ulaw or alaw between * and
sipgate :-(  The strange thing is that I hear the very beginning of the
DTMF tone when I record a voicemail but then it gets muted, almost as if
sipgate is detecting the tone for me but not notifying me that there's
been a tone detected.  Am I thinking along the correct lines ???

I've done some packet capturing - when I press a key on X-Lite I see
some RTP events get passed but I don't see these from sipgate and
nothing's being dropped on my firewall, either :-(

Many, many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.

Neil A. Hillard                E-Mail:   asterisk at dana.org.uk