[Asterisk-Users] SIP-B?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Tue Mar 15 13:26:39 MST 2005

On Mar 11, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Scott Laird wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2005, at 5:31 PM, TC wrote:
>
>>> I was just reading the release notes for the latest SPA-841 firmware,
>>> and noticed that Sipura added support for "SIP-B" to this release.
>>> This apparently adds support for bridged line appearances, parking
>>> softkeys, called party ID, external missed call summary support, and
>>> handful of other useful features.  The release notes are available at
>>> http://sipura.com/Documents/rnote/rn841-3.1.1a.htm
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a clue where to find specs on SIP-B?  Google isn't
>>> being very helpful.
>> http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-sharath-sipb-requirements
>> -00.txt
>> but its been deleted from
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sharath-sipb-requirements
>> -01.txt
>> it was never an rfc :(
>> so did the big boys go it alone :) ?
>
> Those are both just requirements, not really protocol specifications.
> A lot of stuff is implemented without being an RFC, that's not really
> a big problem--look at IAX--but it'd be nice if there was some public
> spec for SIP-B that we could look at.

Following up on my own post--I sent mail to support at sipura.com asking
about SIP-B documentation and received a very quick response: "Go ask
Sylantro."  I did a bit of digging and found a contact inside of
Sylantro, and he provided me with a copy of Sylantro's SIP extension
documentation and a couple new I-Ds.  Most of the changes that show up
in the SPA-841 look like fairly obvious SIP extensions, but I haven't
finished reading the docs yet.  Sylantro seems pretty open about
pushing their SIP extensions into the IETF standardization process, and
this is obviously a good thing.

Frankly, at this point, the SPA-841 probably has more features the the
Cisco 7960 series phones.  The only software feature that I care about
that the Sipura is lacking is support for external address books.  That
can probably be hacked by force-feeding address information into the
phone's web server.  I'll probably do that this weekend.  Considering
that the SPA-841 is cheaper then the software license for Cisco's
phones, that's really impressive.

FWIW, I received my SPA-841 last week, and none of the buttons feel
sticky at all.  Since that was a common complaint with early SPA-841
users, I suspect that they've tweaked things a bit and fixed the newer
batches of phones.

Scott