[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Newbie

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:53:03 MST 2005

Fabian,

Searching is a good start, but here are the answers to your questions anyway:

> 1- Transcoding: is this when you go from g711 to g729 for
> example? Or when you go from SIP to IAx?
Transcoding is converting audio data between codecs, like G711 ->
G729. I wouldn't call SIP to IAX transcoding since the actual payload
can be the same, but the signaling protocol is different.

> 2- What is the best GUI tool to configure  * ?
Without being rude: your favorite text editor. GUIs tend to limit you
as to what you can do.

> 3- Do I need to install a PCI (fxo or fxs) to have meetme, music onnhold etc?
No. Music on hold works in a VOIP only environment; there's ztdummy
for meetme without zaptel hardware.

> 4- If I have a SIP device behind a firewall the supports SIP transformations
> (sonicwall pro230) and the * is outside the firewall, do I have to open ports
> 5060 anyway? What about the audio?
Don't know much about sonicawall. If you want to connect to the *
server form the outside, you probably need to forward port 5060. If *
from the inside "initiates" the connection then NATing works
transparently. Usually you do not need to open ports for the RTP data
path. But as I said, it all depends on your firewall configuration.
The best thing to do is to try it out and see.

--Luki