[Asterisk-Users] Kernel 2.4 or 2.6 for the latest asterisk ??

David Uzzell asterisk-list at uzzell.com.au
Tue Mar 15 05:01:40 MST 2005

Brett, Gary wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Just a quick question. I have been playing around with asterisk CVS-1.0.02
> on fedora core 1 (2.4 kernel) and I would like to have a look at asterisk v
> 1.0.6 but am still a little uncertain which linux kernel is best to run on
> ?, can I use Fedora Core 3 (is it the preferred kernel) or should I stick
> with FC1
>
> Ps - the only additional hardware in the box will be a digium single port E1

I would have said that if you were not going to be running any hardware
zap devices the 2.6 kernel option would be the best as you don't need
any special motherboard to get ztdummy to run.

As you have hardware, I would say that the kernel version would be
dependant on which Distro you wanted to use and what kernel that comes
with that or if you want to compile a kernel.

I have several * servers all without zap devices running on Mandrake
10.1 which is a 2.6 kernel and I was happy with it. so thats my opion
and personal choice.

David