[Asterisk-Users] NAT Far End Traversal

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 14 23:54:35 MST 2005

>Forgive my lack of depth in this area, but aren't SSL based VPNs
>fundamentally IP centric? Whereas RTP & IAX2 streams are UDP? I had
>read some time ago about a company that was planning to revolutionize
>voip through SSL based VPNs, they met with much scorn from those who I
>thought were knowledgable people.

I'm not really sure... I know you can run OpenVPN on tcp or udp and on any port you want,
either as a tap (ethernet) or tun (tunnel).

Seems that running tap would require making sure that the packets actually arrive OK,
even if you're running it over udp.

Running OpenVPN (either tap or tun) on tcp would necessarily require the same thing
because of tcp protocol.

Now I'm not sure if OpenVPN is clever enough with UDP packets sent on a tun interface
running on an udp port...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.