[Asterisk-Users] School design question

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Mon Mar 14 11:46:47 MST 2005

My school district will be building a new elementary school in 2006. We
were about to go to bid with a traditional intercom system for the
campus but I would like implement Asterisk at the campus.

My question is, do we build in a traditional intercom/paging system and
tie that into the Asterisk PBX, the way such intercoms have been
connected to other PBX's in our district in the past, or do we put IP
phones in the classrooms and tie that into a PA system for paging? Are
there IP based paging systems that could be used instead of the
traditional PA/loudspeaker systems in most schools?

We will be writing a spec shortly (and I will be seeking a consultant on
asterisk-biz soon to assist us), but I need to know whether I need to
get our engineering consultant to redraw the cabling to reflect a data
jack at the location of the classroom phone instead of the telco jack
that is currently on the plans.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc