[Asterisk-Users] OT: Recommendation for Dynamic DNS on Meshbox?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Mar 14 08:47:31 MST 2005

I'm going to do a deployment of LocustWorld MeshBoxes in some of our remote
locations. Build 90 comes with Asterisk 1.0, and our plan is to use the
MeshBoxes as a WAP for non-Asterisk uses but also to add a 2nd NIC to deploy
Snom's in the remote location. This works fine (was suprisingly easy to do),
and I have the Meshbox running Asterisk and IAX'ing to our primary no
problem. They will be on a cable ISP for the broadband that only gives
dynamic IP's. I would like to use a Dynamic DNS service so we can address
the boxes as foo.somewhere.com for remote managment. Does anyone have a
recommendation of a free / non free etc for a Dynamic DNS service?

Note the Meshbox is a brutally stripped 2.4.x kernel so deploying software
to it is a problem, dependency hell and I also don't want to mess too much
with the base config. Ideally, a stand alone executable for the client
update or a really really well crafted shell script. I can get wget and cron
running on it so I am considering writing a web service that sits on our
primary end and cron can call wget and POST the output of IFCONFIG; the web
service can parse out the dynamic IP from the IFCONFIG output.

Another possibility is to grab the IP from the wiana.org registry;
unfortunately they don't have a web service for it so it would involve a
script that parses out the IP from the HTML, but that would break if wiana
decides to change the HTML or if wiana discontinues operations.