[Asterisk-Users] E1/T1 back to back ??

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Mon Mar 14 05:49:37 MST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Brett, Gary wrote:

> Just a quick question, I will be building some servers in a lab utilizing
> Digium E1 cards. I would like if possible to avoid the expense of installing
> an e1/ISDN30 in my lab. I have two questions really, first does anybody know
> of an effective simulation tool I can use to replicate a real world PRI but
> without the telco line being installed. And secondly, can I have a scenario
> with 2 asterisk servers with digium e1 cards 'back to back' one configured
> as the network side and the other configured as the client side (can I just
> use a single cat5 straight through cable between them ?? and cant the Digium
> e1 cards operate ok in both modes?)

You can put two Asterisk-boxes back-to-back. Configure one as pri_cpe and
one as pri_net. You need an E1 cross over cable which is different from an
ethernet cross over cable. Search the net for which pins to connect.

Other alternatives exist. They may be closer to what you would see from a
real pstn connection, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Peter