[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, Voicetronix, and Australia

James Bean james at hdcs.com.au
Mon Mar 14 00:40:29 MST 2005

>b) If you are planning to use SIP make sure you configure it properly
to work with NAT.
>SIP has a lot of issues with NAT. The alternative is using IAX but the
IAX deskphones
>arent as feature rich as the SIP phones. Also take into account the
cost of deploying IP phones.

Intent wrote that he is running vpn's inter-office in this case NAT is
not an issue, I do the same thing with 5 offices interconnected with
Ipsec tunnels using traffic shaping for best effect, no NAT'ing is
needed at all.

Also the grandstream phones are SIP and AIX, the new GSP-2000 is only
going to be about $180aud so is cheaper then your standard digital phone
extension and you just use the old snom220 with the extra line board, or
the alcatel which is very nice as well for reception, and if you use a
sip phone that supports AIX its not hard to set them up to fail over to
another offices asterisk box if something goes wrong, the traffic over
the vpn won't be that big with AIX, 28kbit per call if I remember right.

http://www.austechpartnerships.com. If you have
>4 lines this card (TDM400P) will be ideal for you.

No it still isn't certified but I have several running 4 PSTN's through,
except when running the rev h cards which you have to do a code hack to
make work (unless they fixed it in the latest zaptel), but if you can't
get it working digium support will help out.

>d) Make sure your asterisk server has a decent UPS attached to it. ;)

Oohh hell yeah this is a big necessity, get one that is supported by
linux (most are these days).

>f) look into agents and queues for incoming calls.

Yeah there are a few telcos out there that support IAX over the net,
they all have different ways of charging you for the calls its rather
annoying as its like comparing apples and oranges. Gotta work out what
sort of phone calls for how long you are going to do to work out which
provider to route through (it doesn't cost anything really to hook up
for more then 1 and then work out what calls to route through whom for
best cost).

Hope this helps intent.

James