[Asterisk-Users] newbie uk questions...

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Sun Mar 13 05:13:57 MST 2005

Darrell,

Yes, done several implementations of Asterisk and Cisco Call Manager
Express in this range in the UK. In both cases, I used Cisco 7940s for
most users and 7960s for managers (they like to feel 'special'). On the
CCME one, I used PoE. I used 2 BRIs (4 channels) on CCME, and a PRI E1
with 8 channels active with Asterisk.

I also experimented with a VoIP provider for the Asterisk customer, but
they decided on the PRI for QoS and SLA reasons. In my experience, most
business users still want ISDN for these reasons; VoIP providers are not
yet proven. I expect this will change in the next year or two.

For 2, 4, or 6 channels, BRIs are cheaper. For 8 or more, you should
choose a PRI. Personally, if I wanted 6 channels, I'd get an 8 channel
PRI. I'd be wasting 2 channels (8 is the normal minimum for PRIs in the
UK), but the ease of installation and less messing around from the
provider would be worth it.

I know this is an Asterisk list, but you should consider CCME. It
doesn't have as many features as Asterisk, but then again is not
dependant on PC hardware. You can pick up a CCME platform (minus
interface cards) for about 1500 pounds these days.

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
Telephony, Database, Unix consulting worldwide
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/