[Asterisk-Users] Print-to-Fax client

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 04:00:17 MST 2005

Florian Overkamp wrote:

>Hi,

Just as an extra datapoint, I have been experimenting with the builltin fax
facilities in OSX. Basically there is a cups printer called "Internal_Modem"
which accepts postscript and sends faxes out of the external modem.
I had the external modem plugged into a sipura 2000 which connected over
ulaw
to asterisk which then calls out over PRI to the far fax.

Initial experiments seem encouraging .

The really cool thing is that the CUPS printer is a network service so all
the systems on my net can now send faxes.

The othernice thing is that the processing of postscript to tiff/fax is done
off the asterisk box with a full set of genuine postscript fonts.

(With the imac mini - it could almost be described as cost effective
to buy one just as a fax gateway).

Tim.