[Asterisk-Users] Re: Incoming echo cancel

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Fri Mar 11 15:17:59 MST 2005

The fact that your SIP people are hearing their own voice, but the inbound caller is not is the correct behaviour for your 'echoless' digital termination. If you were to tap the channel in the T1 leaving your premises you would find that the echo is coming in from beyond your interfaces. Similarly if you called another party that was also on all-digital facilities (ie. call back into one of your own DIDs) then you should find there is no echo experienced by either party.

The fact that the second port does not echo at all simply suggests that carrier has a different arrangement of equipment. If they're a dedicated long-distance carrier they probably have echo cancellation active on all of their trunks all the time to compensate for the 'long distance' echos that would become audiable to ordinary callers.

An interesting trick is to set up a T1 DID to answer with the echo() application. Try calling in to it from a regular land line - then try calling into it from a cellphone. In most cases cellphone calls pass through fairly heavy-duty cancellation and you'll find the artificially generated echo dissapears.

{clip}