[Asterisk-Users] Multiple IAX Phones Behind NAT

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Fri Mar 11 14:37:23 MST 2005

Harold Fletcher wrote:

>Steve:
>
>But how will that work for incoming calls?  Assume that three phones
>have registered with an Asterisk box from inside a NAT, then * knows
>that these three users can be found at x.x.x.x port 4569.

Nope.

Asterisk would then know that these three users have registered from
NAT-ADDRESS:natted-port, where natted-port will be different for each user.

>  When *
>receives an incoming call intended for one of those users, all it can do
>is forward those calls to x.x.x.x:4569, right?

No, asterisk will send it to the same port the registration came from,
which should be different for each user.

>  In that case I don't
>understand how the NAT can know to which user the incoming call is
>referring.

Because when it sends out the registrations, each inside machine will
get a different external port assigned.