[Asterisk-Users] Comparison Charts

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Fri Mar 11 01:27:47 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> I couldnt agree with you more Jim. Im realdy using Asterisk
> and agree 100% with what you say... I was asking for a
> comparison list with other PBX's because for example, for a
> customer, they have heard of Avaya and Cisco and they all are
> selling IP now... So.... In order to get your customer to
> trust Asterisk over those guys, you need to show him the
> diff. Between the two and some lists of the features on the
> others compared to Asterisk..

It kind of reminds me of the challenge in selling the Internet to
management in the early 90s. The trick was getting them to think in a
whole different way. In many cases, they bought into it simply because
they had no choice. Businesses didn't fully get it until everyone was
using it.

You could compare Asterisk to other products, but that wouldn't show it
in its best light. It might be better to explore some of the things that
Asterisk can do that the other systems cannot.

The VoIP part is a total red-herring - we've had VoIP for over 10 years;
the real power is in the flexibility. Defining exactly what that
flexibility is will in large part depend on your audience. Find out what
excites them. Is it cost? Asterisk has a compelling story to tell. Is it
standards-compliance? Asterisk again scores points. Flexibility? Yep.
Open-source (or avoiding vendor lock-in)? You betcha!

I would almost want to see a list of features that those other products
had that could NOT be configured on Asterisk.

Who really knows what the limits are? Ten years later we're still
finding out new uses for the Internet. I imagine that ten years from now
we'll still be adding "features" to open-source telephony . . . will we
even call it "telephony" then? I'm betting no.