[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Mohit Muthanna mohit.muthanna at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:05:58 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:14:36 -0500, Giudice, Salvatore
<Salvatore.Giudice at fmr.com> wrote:
> I vote for MySQL. PostgreSQL is fine, but MySQL handles much better
> under extreme load. MySQL is also usually touted as being generally

I'd have to (respectfully) disagree with that... MySQL just cannot
handle high load or large datasets... it's inherent design does not
allow it to scale too well...

I lost countless hours trying to optimize disk / filesystem
distribution, SQL queries, kernel parameters etc. etc. to get MySQL to
_not crawl_. After many failed attempts, I switched to Postgres and
haven't looked back.

I personally believe there is a "right tool for the right job". MySQL
works great for small datasets and (relatively) lighter load. Infact,
it shines there. But don't expect it to perform as your database grows
in orders of magnitude.

Postgres is certainly a database that is "recommended" (IMHO) for
production environments. If you're a VoIP provider, and are trying to
provide a near "carrier-grade" service, postgres shines.

Moht.

--
Mohit Muthanna [mohit (at) muthanna (uhuh) com]
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those