[Asterisk-Users] Re: tdm400p and dell 2600 poweredge

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Mar 10 09:59:15 MST 2005

Hi Grant -

> As you probably know, the tdm400p needs an ide power supply, but the
> dell poweredge 2600 that this card is destined for eventually has all
> the power supplied on the backplane with no ide cables.
>
> The thing is, on the motherboard in the server, there is an ide ribbon
> connector, and beside that, something also marked ide, that looks
> suspiciously like a power supply takeoff.
>
> I've talked to the good folks at dell about this, and they are as
> clueless as ever.  Has anyone run into this problem before and, if so,
> have you found the secret cable that turns the power supply on the
> board
> into a regular ide cable?

I'm assuming you mean the 4-pin molex power cable to supply devices.
Yes, I had the same problem on various Dells - too short, or not enough
cables.  You can get extenders for more length and splitters for more
devices.  Just do a google search for 4-pin molex.  You should find
some options.  If you don't find anything, or you don't want to wait
for an adaptor, you can always solder some more length into your cable.
  That's the route I've always taken (because I'm impatient and cheap).

Thanks,
Noah