[Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Best DB

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at eunetnorge.no
Thu Mar 10 02:33:52 MST 2005

"Forrest W. Christian" <fwc at mt.net> writes:

> Today, MySQL has more features that it lacked earlier - i.e. it's got
> transactions and additional queries, and so on.
>
> I understand that PostgreSql has also gotten faster than it used to be.
>
> So, at this point it's almost devolved into a holy war as opposed to there
> being any real difference.

Emphasis on "almost", though.  MySQL still has a long way to go, and
the bits that are missing or inferior will take an awful lot of work
to catch up.  It *is* getting better with every release, though.  It's
just still (as it has been throughout) trailing quite a bit behind
PostgreSQL as a "real" RDBMS.  Its huge popularity was a matter of
timing and luck, and once it reached critical mass, well...  :-)

That said, lots and lots of people are quite happy with their MySQL
installations.  The reason why I recommend not choosing MySQL for a
new project is that you don't know when you'll suddenly need some
capability that it doesn't have -- and finding out after you've
invested a lot of time and effort isn't any fun.  Better to use what
is known to have everything you need *plus* most of the stuff you
might conceivably find yourself needing in the future.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.