[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Wed Mar 9 15:13:33 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:02:03PM -0600, Steven Critchfield said:
> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 15:43 -0500, list at ipmotel.net wrote:
> > For some reason I didn't think PostgreSQL was for mission critical apps.  I
> > don't think I have any reasoning behind it, just didn't think it was
> > "hardcore"...sounds like i might be wrong...i'll have to look into it more.
> >
> > Open source advantages are obvious, but aside from licensing and cost
> > factors, I believe speed, security, and stability are going to be the key
> > factors for us, whether open source or not.
>
> Postgres is probably more developed than mysql. Mysql gets a lot of
> press though as being an easy to install and config database. As for
> stability/scalability, the .org registry is on postgres.

We use both MySQL and Postgres inhouse for production applications.
MySQL has advanced significantly in the past year, and functionality is
catching up with Postgres. Postgres is improving performance and is
catching up to MySQL. Both are rock solid. Both have features the other
lacks. I'd probably go with Postgres however for a new application. I
see no point in giving MS or Oracle any more money for something that is
a freely available commodity at this point.