[Asterisk-Users] Should ICMP port unreachable generate a BYE request?

Dipole Moment dipole.moment at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:21:37 MST 2005

> You'd have to trace the code to work it out properly. But ICMP packets
> aren't generally passed to userspace. What's more likely is that the
> kernel, upon receiving sufficient of these errors, decides the
> connection is dead and notifies asterisk.

That's what I'm thinking and just want to make sure.  AFAIK, ICMP port
unreach is generated when a UDP client tries to connect to a UDP
server on a port with no server listening.  In fact this technique is
used by traceroute to accomplish its operation.  So Asterisk will
probably get some error value when it tries to write to a UDP socket
and I wonder if it will generate a BYE as a result.  It'll be great if
I find it out without diving into the source and getting lost there :)

> Strange problem though, how can only some packets generate Port
> Unreachable, but not all. Random routing problem?

Asterisk is running on a multihomed machine with one interface on
providers network so there's no routing here, they're on the same LAN.

Thanks!