[Asterisk-Users] Which box?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Mar 9 05:52:55 MST 2005

On March 9, 2005 07:31 am, asterisk wrote:
> I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm not finding an answer
> anywhere.  Do I need a dedicated box to run asterisk, or can I put in my
> server (running Fedora) and leverage some of the free cpu cycles and
> disk space?  Thanks,

That's a very open-ended question.  Your accurate answer: It depends.

At home I have my P3/700 (which is also an NFS/SMB server and NFS root for my
mythtv box) also running asterisk.  Hell the TDM430P and ethernet share the
same interrupt and it works *fine* for me.  This is most certainly NOT an
optimal situation for most people though.

At the office I have two dedicated Asterisk boxes and they work well too.  For
a beginner such as yourself I would *strongly* recommend using dedicated
hardware until you understand enough about the interactions to be able to
intelligently guess what's going to happen.

It's not like you need a lot of horsepower for a regular asterisk box.  I was
using a P90 without MMX for a while, but it was only one FXS and one FXO
port.

-A.