[Asterisk-Users] Please help with install *

Victoria Alexandru victoria_alexandru at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 08:45:42 MST 2005

I'm a neewbie in Linux, so please bear with me.
I have a school assignment to make communication between 10 SIP softphones (kphone).
So far I got trouble installing Asterisk. The information in asterisk web site seems to be a bit outdated because it's mentioned only kernel 2.4.
Since Mandrake cooker (10.2beta3) witch I'm using is using kernel 2.6.10, I wander if I have a chance to install it properly.
All I have are the 3 installation CDs and it looks I'm missing some packages (bison, and associated -devel, zlib, and associated -devel). Should these be taken from contrib?

In fact can anyone tell me exactly what exactly do I need? (As an example, I believe in wiki I found I would need newt, which is not in the list from Asterisk web page)
I had several attempts ended in failure and as much I would like to understand what I'm doing, I would like also to document my progress. I think you can guess my frustation, therefore I would much appreciate any verbose info.

Thanks, V.

http://mail.yahoo.com