[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & MySQL Blobs

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Mar 7 16:18:06 MST 2005

Steven Critchfield wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 16:06 -0500, Eric wrote:
>

>>Hi Vinko,
>>
>>MySQL blobs will store binary data, so you should be OK there.  I'd
>>focus on whether or not storing the data in a variable is a good idea.
>>Typically, with any programming language, it's good practice to
>>keep variable lengths short so you aren't passing the variable itself
>>between functions.  I can't say if that could cause performance issues
>>under higher load.
>>
>>I'd love to hear how you make out, as well as anyone else's input.
>>

>With as much as I despise the idea of the audio being stored in a DB
>much less MySQL, it shouldn't be much different from it being in NFS as
>long as MySQL can keep pace.

How are mysql blobs transported in TCP/IP? Some protocols(XML-RPC for
example) use base64 encoding to handle binary objects. If I were doing
this, I might wind up using another database(it has to be blob-capable)
in order to get the best network efficiency. Things that might seem to
work well when the database server is on the localhost using unix
sockets could begin to fall apart when you need to migrate it to a
separate machine.