[Asterisk-Users] Question about AGI vs. FastAGI vs. straight C/DB development

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 15:21:12 MST 2005

Folks,

I want to build a custom IVR for my setup. I've got it
working (well, the bells and whistles are not there
yet, but the basic stuff works) using AGI, but I'm
worried about how well this will scale.

I've seen references to FastAGI, and presumably this
will be more efficient.

Question, though: how well do either of these (AGI or
FastAGI) scale if my system is handling a large number
of simultaneous calls? I'm assuming that even with
FastAGI, there's going to be some CPU overhead that
will increase as the number of simultaneous calls
increases.

Would it make more sense to write a custom application
in C instead, designing it to work sort-of like the
built-in app_voicemail.c and others? I do know C, but
is it worth the effort in terms of ROI? :)

I'd like to figure this out in advance rather than
after all my customers (hopefully there _will_ be
customers) start yelling at me about performance
issues. :)

Cheers,
Maya