[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Mar 6 15:35:13 MST 2005

> > i am new to this list and i dot not know, if anybody had already the
> > same problem. I have two cisco 7960 which i want to upgrade to sip. Has
> > somebody already taken the upgrade-process for special hints and
> > suggestions? I have already visited the cisco-page and i have read the
> > proposal for the migration. Is there a special order of firmware-upgrades?

[correct quoting order restored...  damn top-posting]

> The definitive guide of what versions can be upgraded to what is at:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4967/products_upgrade_guides09186a008022a968.html
>
> In particular, look at tables 2 and 3.

Horrible answer.

Better:

1) Take ANY Cisco documentation with a ton of salt.  I've seen numerous
   examples of it being broken, silly, and just plain wrong.  And that's
   just the useful and relevant bits.

2) Run, don't walk, run over to the Wiki and stare at the numerous notes
   available on upgrading the firmware on these.  Probably a good idea
   to look at related pages too.

Some of us have put up information to make it easier for you to get the
dirty work of upgrading one of these phones done.  It may not be neat, it
may require some reading and effort, it may require a little trial and
error, but it ought to be all there.

Cisco makes some great phones, but their documentation and their upgrade
processes are crappy.

Don't give up, though, and don't let any "consultants" talk you in to
paying them to do it for you.

obDisclosure: we do consulting work here.  But we believe in end-user
empowerment and we're not interested in upgrading your phones.  That's
why I contributed a few missing bits to the Wiki, which definitely can
get you through the whole process, now (I hope)!

Now back to lurking,

... JG