[Asterisk-Users] Survey: what's the best HTTPd/TFTPd/FTPd to serve up configuration files to sets

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Mar 5 19:13:45 MST 2005

On March 5, 2005 08:00 pm, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> I have heard that khttpd is pretty lightweight, but its use seems to
> have been deprecated, and it does not appear to be actively maintained.
> Is TuX the way to go?
>
> As for tftpd and ftpd, I'm just not sure. Leightweight is the key, here.
>
> Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Just remember that early optimization is the cause of the fall of the Roman
Empire.  Get it working, then start tweaking.

Having said that, I try to center my system around Postfix, Postgres, Perl
(moving to Python slowly) and Apache.  I used to be a qmail diehard but one
day I just got sick of it.  Same with PHP; I used to love it but now I hate
it with a vengeance; I can't explain why but it is *so* much harder to write
maintainable, clear code in PHP compared to even Perl.

If you don't need a full-out ACID-compliant DB but want to keep SQL around,
use SQLite, it's simply amazing and if you write your SQL portable enough you
can always "change up" to Postgres with very little change in your code.  If
SQL isn't an issue stick with something tiny and ubiquitous like db2 or gdbm,
although I must admit I don't know much about either of these.  Hell, use
flat files unless you *really* need a db.

Do you *really* need two different httpds?  If you've already got Perl running
and you are only serving up a dozen pages A MINUTE, what's wrong with
Frontier::Daemon?  Do you really need all of Apache or to split the load up
between tux and Apache?

As far as tftp and bootp and the like, I prefer udhcpcd and whatever
slackware's in.tftpd is.  Very lightweight and work well enough.  FTP I use
proftpd on.  You'll see that everything I tend to use is clear, concise and
security-conscious.  I've learned enough the hard way that quick and dirty
often costs you more in the end.  Use padl.org's LDAP connector instead of
the hideous mess of complexity that PAM is.  Use a distro that is consistent
with every install (that's a direct shot at Gentoo, btw).

-A.